Piotr Fetela, Dominik Jozwiak Win Sno*Drift For Second Time
by Chris Leone
Image via Rally America
Fetela Rally Team’s Piotr Fetela and Dominik Jozwiak persevered through a high-attrition weekend with some of the coldest temperatures on record to win this year’s Sno*Drift National Rally. Fetela/Jozwiak, who also won the 2016 edition of the event, defeated O.D.D. Racing’s Cameron Steely and Preston Osborn by three minutes and 57 seconds to earn the victory. Hi Camp Racing’s Travis Nease and Matt James completed the podium.
Overnight leaders Barry McKenna and Leon Jordan of McKenna Motorsport entered the day as the clear-cut favorites to win, until mechanical troubles at the halfway point of the rally knocked them out of contention. Fetela/Jozwiak took the lead from there and never looked back, winning each of the final nine stages of the rally.
In the Regional event, which was scored separately from the National event in 2019, Blind Deer Rallysport’s Jimmy Pelizzari and Kate Stevens took the overall victory by 2:55.1 over Fervor Rally Sport’s Jacob Bryant and Steven Stewart. Pelizzari and Stevens rebounded from the loss of ten minutes on Friday’s final stage after being caught in a snow bank, and would have been fourth overall in the National standings. Eric and Camille Carlson, the top Open 4WD competitors in the Regional class, completed the overall podium.
Provisional Sno*Drift overall and class winners are listed below:
- Overall/Open 4WD National: Piotr Fetela/Dominik Jozwiak, 2:20:04.5
- Limited 4WD National: Cameron Steely/Preston Osborn, 2:24:01.5
- Naturally Aspirated 4WD National: Jon Kramer/Jason Smith, 2:43:54.5
- Open 2WD National: Shawn MacDonald/Jacob Cannis, 2:41:17.9
- Limited 2WD National: Robert Sanders/Mike Mettetal, 3:21:35.6
- Overall/Naturally Aspirated 4WD Regional: Jimmy Pelizzari/Kate Stevens, 2:36:33.0
- Open 4WD Regional: Eric Carlson/Camille Carlson, 2:45:02.7
- Open 2WD Regional: Kevin Schmidt/Jay Anderson, 3:27:12.4
- Limited 2WD Regional: Santiago Iglesias/Robert Kassel, 2:58:46.1